Like LK, I believe that you shouldn't have to look like the lead character in a science fiction flick to be eco-friendly while driving. So keep the Volvo. Keep the classic car you love so much. Keep the true-blue, always-by-your-side steed you've had for 10 years. But take a few measures to make your ride a little nicer to the planet.
A few ways to improve MPG in your own car:
- Make sure you get your car tuned up regularly
- Change the air filter–can increase MPG by 10%!
- Make sure you drive with correct tire pressure
- Turn engine off if you will be idling for more than a few minutes
- Use cruise control whenever possible
- Use overdrive whenever possible–reducing the engine speed saves fuel
- Check emissions–poor oxygen sensor can reduce fuel efficiency by 40%!
- Don’t speed–rapid accelertion/speeding can reduce fuel efficiency up to 33%!
- Roll down your windows whenever possible–using a/c uses more fuel.
- Leave unnecessary stuff at home–the more weight in the car, the more fuel consumed