Sunday, April 5, 2009

When Tourism Goes Eco

Sometimes, when work is bogging me down and I have to look like I am doing something productive, I go on a mental vacation. I love to look at tourism websites and I was so excited when I checked Islamorada's site today and found that they're making strides towards being greener. Check this out:

"Five Sixes Taxi recently debuted 10 environmentally friendly hybrid vehicles as the first step in converting its entire fleet. Five Sixes is the first taxi company in Florida to roll out hybrids. The cab company's officials project that the new fuel-efficient vehicles will get about 38 miles per gallon in the city, compared to their previous vehicles' 12 to 13 miles per gallon, reducing their emissions factor by 80 percent. Future plans include replacing its other 13 sedans with hybrids, and replace its 23 seven-passenger Maxi Taxis when a suitable hybrid van becomes available."

And yes, they're pink! It would be great if more vacation destinations would make strides towards being eco-friendly. You can read the whole article here.

No comments: