Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Silver Lining

As I've gotten older, I've come to the realization that some days things just don't go my way. Yesterday was one of those days. My cell phone quit working (due to no fault of my own) and my computer died (possibly partly my fault, but maybe not). I had to purchase a new version of each. Then, on my 6 block walk home, the bottom fell out. The sky began to rain drops so hard that they hurt. And, of course, I had no umbrella. Once I got home and changed my soaking wet clothes and shoes, I sent my mom a text that said, "Today is not my day."

Fast forward to this afternoon. As I was listening to a presentation on the intricacies of family law (not my specialty, but interesting no less), a number I didn't recognize flashed on my new cellphone screen. And then it happened again. And again. Finally, the caller left a voicemail, which I checked at the conclusion of the presentation. What I heard made my day, not because of the misfortune conveyed in the beginning of the message, but because of the silver lining that came at the end.

Here's the message:
"Hi, it's mom. I dropped my cell phone in the toilet again. [she paused here as a buildup to the highlight of the message] But I didn't flush it this time!!!"

As of this evening, we each have a new phone and neither of us plans to drop it in the toilet. At least not today.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Awww that's a great story!! Yes, there's always a silver lining!! xoxo

Sara said...

Glad that call came with some good news. Some days you should just stay in bed, huh?

Sherrie said...

lol!

What Kate Wore said...

Love this post, the Mom call is just priceless!
tp